The NAFC-Pathways-PEKE is one of three Partners for Engagement and Knowledge Exchange (PEKEs) that has been funded through the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Pathways for Health Equity for Aboriginal Peoples signature initiative. Through Pathways, CIHR and its partners will contribute to the creation of better preventive health services, healthier communities and health equity for First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and urban Aboriginal peoples in Canada in four priority areas. These priority areas include, suicide prevention, diabetes, tuberculosis, and oral health. The primary goal of the NAFC-Pathways-PEKE is to ensure that Friendship Centres are meaningfully and ethically engaged throughout the course of the Pathways initiative.
In order to achieve its goal the NAFC-Pathways-PEKE will focus on the following:
- Supporting and building upon existing community capacity to partner in Pathways research.
- Supporting and building upon existing capacity of community to turn research into action by supporting the development and implementation of community specific knowledge mobilization plans.
- Building researcher capacity to understand and respect the urban Aboriginal research environment.
- Brokering and supporting research relationships between Friendship Centres and Intervention Research Teams (IRTs).
- Promoting urban Aboriginal research opportunities among post secondary students.
- Supporting and facilitating the scale-up of interventions.
- Contributing to knowledge translation and dissemination activities.
The NAFC-Pathways-PEKE will impact Friendship Centres in two key ways. First, through their participation in Pathways related activities Friendship Centres will be in a position to guide research and leverage findings to advocate for additional program and service funding. Second, Friendship Centres will have the opportunity to develop or increase their capacity to participate in and/or conduct research within their communities.
For more information or to get involved contact:
613-563-4844 ext: 336